Bluff Point Graded School #3, on Bluff Point Road in lower Northumberland County, celebrates 100 years continuing education on the school grounds Saturday, September 21st, 2013, from 2:00 to 5:00 PM.
An invitation is open to everyone to come to the school and relive school life in the early 20th Century.
Yester' year Today
The school served as a one and two room schoolhouse in the Northern Neck of Virginia from 1913 to 1933. It remains the only historic two room schoolhouse in Northumberland County that continues to be used by community organizations.
Early Student Body
The standing seam metal roof, oversized double-hung windows and the gingerbread trim on the porch are original architectural features. The building has been designated a Virginia Historic Landmark and placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This designation resulted in the award of a $5,000 matching grant from the Virginia Legislature in 2006. These funds, together with matching grant funds, were used for restoration and preservation.
The Bluff Point Community League is hosting an open house with tours of the school, period exhibits from the Kilmarnock Museum, Northumberland County Historical Society, Reedville Fisherman’s Museum, Steamboat Era Museum, Mary Ball Washington Museum & Library, Northern Neck Farm Museum, prominent local authors (book signings), hands-on activities for children, school memorabilia, period displays.
The Rappahannock Record had an excellent article about the school and its history available HERE.
Directions: North on Church Street (SR200) in Kilmarnock; turn right on Bluff Point Road (SR608); go about 2.5 miles to the school house on the right side of the road at #2595